Thursday, September 4, 2014

Attention to detials

My friends sometimes make fun of me, but when I'm in a restaurant I refuse to order misspelled menu items. I figure if they can't spell it, how can I trust they can cook it?

Seth Godin makes the same point today about buying paper and pens at "stationary" stores. (Although, to be fair, those stores probably do stay in the same place day after day.)

Spellcheck only helps if you've created a word so garbled it can't suggest a tr[;svr,rmy (that's "replacement" if you shift your fingers one key to the right). If it's close to being an actual word, beware: You might find yourself with a strategy to "purse" rather than "pursue."

I admit I am sometimes guilty of relying on technology instead of my brain. A few weeks after I moved to my new town I realized that I didn't know the way to the supermarket because I always let my GPS guide me. I got lost a couple of times after I turned it off, but at least I was thinking for myself.

For the love of grammar, spelling, and sanity it's time to turn off the technology and take back our personal responsibility for paying attention to (did you catch it in the headline?) details.

Thnak you.




No comments: